Sunday, January 1, 2012

Evolution of a cheese weight.

Kasia's parents got me a cheese press for Xmas. I was so excited by this that I made a batch of cheese within hours of receiving it. It came with an open and an enclosed mold. For the last year, we've struggled with pressing our cheese, doing all sorts of crazy things to get that excess whey out of our curd.

My good friend Mario is a decorative metal worker, specializing in finishing. I texted him the mold lid below and asked him if he could make me a 3" diameter by approx. 3.5"height weight.

This is the 3" diameter by 3.5" height chunk of steel he texted back! Perfect!


Later the same night, I met up with Mario for some drinks. He had this with him. The very same chunk of steel all prettified and stamped with the name of my video editing business! I suspected he might get this crazy thing done that day, so I brought him samples of two different raw milk queso frescos and two different cream cheeses I had made in the last week. Very grateful!



So there it is. This bugger is going to squeeze out a serious amount of whey!

No comments:

Post a Comment